Chiropractic can help! Did you know that even though chiropractic focuses on the spine, it can help other body parts—like the elbow—in the process?
If you’ve got elbow pain in the Franklin, TN area, don’t let it get you down. Let’s find out what chiropractic in Franklin, TN does for elbow pain so you feel comfortable seeking treatment.
Types of Elbow Pain
Most commonly, elbow pain originates from an over-use injury. This means that for most of the causes listed below, the injury has occurred because someone has repeated the same awkward or “un-ergonomic” motion countless times. The type of elbow pain chiropractors see most often include:
- Tennis elbow—a tear or rupture in a tendon leading to pain on the outside of the joint
- Golfer’s elbow—same cause as tennis elbow, only the pain is near the inside of the joint
- Bursitis—fluid sacks below the joint have become swollen due to repetitive rubbing on a hard surface
- Tendonitis—elbow tendon gets swollen and painful from overuse (many causes—working out, lifting, housework, etc)
- Carpal tunnel syndrome—although wrist-related, carpal tunnel pain can shoot up through the elbow
- Arthritis—a disease causing pain and inflammation of many joints
- Nerve pain—misaligned bones in the spine laying on nerves
As you can see, there’s a lot of reasons to have elbow pain. But Franklin, TN chiropractic can help all of them.
When it comes to treating elbow pain, knowing the cause is important for prescribing the right treatment. If your pain is due to nerve interference in the spine—evident by mysterious tingling or numbness in the in the elbow—then spinal adjustment should resolve the issue nicely. A Franklin, TN chiropractor will address elbow nerve pain by first adjusting the spine.
But if the pain comes from an overuse injury, a different protocol is necessary. For example, this post details chiropractic treatment for tennis elbow. The first line of defense for tennis elbow should be rest and ice, ice being most useful 2-3 days after an injury. At a chiropractor, you may be able to receive laser therapy, a harmless therapy that reduces scar tissue, helping the tendon heal faster. A chiropractor will also look at what is causing your un-ergonomic repetitive motion. For instance, if you have a neck problem causing you to compensate by moving your elbow incorrectly, he can adjust you neck to fix this, leading to correction of your repetitive motion. Such treatment by a chiropractor can help volumes for an overuse injury.
How to Prevent Elbow Pain
Let’s look at how to prevent overuse injuries as well as prevent pain from arthritis or misaligned vertebrae.
- Since overuse injuries are the most common cause of elbow pain, correcting how you use your elbow and wrist so that it doesn’t affect the tendons is imperative. You can find out how damaging your elbow movements are by seeing a physical therapist.
- Arthritis is different because it’s a disease. You can’t necessarily prevent it, but you can delay its onset and reduce its impact by not smoking, maintaining a healthy diet, and keeping active.
- Misaligned vertebrae can cause a lot of damage to the body. To prevent elbow pain from this source, seek out a Franklin, TN chiropractor and get adjusted on a regular basis.
Now that you know how to prevent elbow pain, we hope we’re saved you from a lot of hassle later in life!
Have you ever seen a chiropractor for elbow pain?
Elbow pain may not seem common in your daily life, but many athletes—especially those who use their arms (ie, not soccer players!)—suffer from this irritating affliction. Learn from them that paying to attention to your body mechanics is important for preventing many types of pain, not just elbow-related.
Have you or a loved one ever visited a Franklin, TN chiropractor for pain in your elbow? What was the cause—overuse, arthritis, or spine misalignment? Leave your story in the comments below!